Why insulate the floor?
Heat is lost via conduction, convection and radiation. Floors are affected by all three, just think of stepping on a cold kitchen floor in the morning and feeling heat draining away (conduction), feeling discomfort on parts of your body facing the cold surface (radiation) or feeling an uncomfortable, cold draught around your feet or neck (convection). Insulating the floor with Q-Bot is a barrier to all three and this is what makes it unique and so effective.
Less cold draughts passing through floor surfaces means warm feet and a much cosier home.
Insulating the floor with a layer of insulation material improves the energy efficiency of a building in two ways:
1. Reducing the heat lost to the space beneath the building and the ground. Q-Bot floor insulation reduces heat loss through the floor by up to 90% resulting in warmer, drier floors.
2. Creating a barrier to cold air entering the property, if there is less cold air entering the property then less energy is needed to heat this air. Q-Bot floor insulation improves the air-tightness of a property by up to 50% resulting in significantly fewer cold draughts.
How is it installed?
Q-Bot’s unique, patented process uses a remotely operated device to apply insulation to the underside of the floor. This keeps the floor on the warm dry side and maintains the ventilation gap allowing the ground to breath.
1) Access The robot is inserted into the space beneath the floorboards by removing an air brick in the external wall, or making a small access hatch from the inside of the property.
2) Survey The robot drives around the underfloor space and creates a 3D map, allowing the operator to assess and plan the install.
3) Apply Standard spraying patterns guide the operator to apply controlled layers to a depth of 100-150 mm.
4) Validate A second, post install survey verifies the area covered, consistency and thickness of the insulation.
SurveyBot is able to remotely access and survey a range of environments that are either hazardous or physically impractical for a human to enter. SurveyBot is inserted through a small access hatch and can explore and map an environment autonomously, or be controlled directly by the operator. SurveyBot may operate wirelessly or via tethered connection.
SurveyBot can build up an accurate 3D textured model, which includes visual and thermal information, identify hazards or obstacles, and take measurements of the environmental conditions, typical applications include:
Q-Bot has been developing a number of new approaches for the insulation of hard to treat walls without the need for scaffolding and which improve the quality of the work. Please contact us if you would like to discuss this or any other new opportunity.
Q-Bot is currently developing solutions to improve the effectiveness of stock condition surveys and create Building Information Models (BIM). Please contact us if you would like to discuss this or any other new opportunity.
Q-Bot is also working on a number of exciting new applications that have to remain secret for now. Please contact us if you would like to discuss this or any other new opportunity.